Last updated on October 22, 2021
Doubling Season | Illustration by Chuck Lukacs
Although the entire world has slowed down due to COVID-19, it seems like WotC has no plans to rest this year. The hype for Core Set 2021 is still fresh, and now it’s time for MTG Double Masters. If you’re not familiar with the concept, the Masters series is a line of reprint sets each focusing on a certain theme. 2020’s Double Masters is ramping up the expectations with double the rare slots, double the box toppers, and double the first-picks in draft.
Without further ado, let’s jump in and see what this new set will bring!
Double Masters Basic Information
Blightsteel Colossus | Illustration by Chris Rahn
About the Set
Mana Crypt | Illustration by Matt Stewart
What separates Double Masters from previous Masters sets is that every Double Masters pack will have a lot more than regular packs usually do. Each booster will include two rares and two foils, and these two foils can be of any rarity, which means you can potentially get a total of four rares from a single pack! There will also be two non-foil showcase box topper cards included in each booster box, pulled from a pool of 40 fan-favorite cards with full-art treatments. Booster boxes, on their end, will include 24 packs.
For Double Masters, Collector Boosters will be replaced by the “VIP Edition,” which we’ll discuss in a little bit.
Kaalia of the Vast showcase frame | Illustration by Scott M. Fischer
Since there will be additional rare and foil cards in each pack, there are fewer cards in the common slot. This means that limited formats will see more high-rarity cards, and tournaments will be even more thrilling!
There is one sad piece of news, though: the set doesn’t include reprints of fetch lands. We’ll get them somewhere in 2020—Secret Lairs don’t count—but we still need to wait for upcoming releases. Maybe Zendikar or a Commander product? Fingers crossed!
A Crazy Draft Format
Feel bad about passing all those fancy rares and mythics that you’re opening? Never fear, this draft format has a huge twist! Each first pick that you make from a new pack during a Double Masters draft is actually two picks.
So, feel free to grab both mythics out of the pack. Or to actually improve your deck. You know, whatever you want to do. Yes, this means we’re going to have to completely change how our draft simulator works, but that’s cool!
I guess. #thanksWotC
Double Masters Card Gallery
Double Masters spoiler season has concluded, giving us a full view of what to expect with this reprint set. Take a look:
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Original Announcement Spoilers
Taking a look at the cards along with the “double” theme, Double Masters is definitely focused on multiplying, including the copying of spells and permanents. There are plenty of new tokens, and a variety of ways to bulk up what you’ve got on the board or the stack. There’s also quite a few artifacts and artifact-focused synergies going on so far, usually going hand-in-hand with those multiplying mechanics I just mentioned.
Here’s a simple rundown of the limited archetypes for the 2-color combos:
Atraxa, Praetors’ Voice | Illustration by Victor Adame Minguez
What is the “VIP Edition”?
Double Masters VIP Edition is WotC’s solution to Collector Boosters, but for a reprint set. This apparently means more cards, but at a higher price point.
Each VIP Edition pack will include 35 cards:
- 2 foil showcase rares or mythics (out of 40 possible cards)
- 2 foil rares or mythics
- 8 foil uncommons
- 9 foil commons
- 12 full-art basic lands (2 are foil)
- 2 foil double-sided tokens
And just to emphasize, all the lands you get are full art beauties. Including possibly the most iconic basic land art ever:
So yes, the product is very expensive. But if you’re a collector, you get a lot of premium stuff.
Where to Buy
As per usual, draft booster boxes will be available on Amazon right here.
- TWO RARES. Each of the 24 Double Masters Draft Booster Packs inside your booster box contains not 1 but 2 rare or mythic rare Magic cards—at least.
- TWO FOILS. All 24 packs have twice the shine, with 2 foils in each booster (can be any rarity).
- TWO BOX TOPPERS. Each Double Masters Draft Booster Box contains 2 special box topper cards with beautiful borderless treatments.
- TWO FIRST PICKS. Every pack of Double Masters has two rares—and when you booster draft, you can pick them both.
- TOO POWERFUL. Play with some of the most powerful Magic cards ever, whether you’re into Commander, Pioneer, Legacy, or all of the above.
If you want to treat yourself to just one pack, you can also do that
- WHAT’S INSIDE: 15 Magic cards and 1 token (8 commons, 3 uncommons, 2 rares or mythic rares, 2 foil Magic cards that can be any rarity)
- THINK YOU’RE SEEING DOUBLE? Look again. Double Masters draft booster packs really do give you all the best parts of an MTG booster—twice.
- TWO RARES. Each Double Masters Draft Booster Pack contains not 1 but 2 rare or mythic rare Magic cards—at least.
- TWO FOILS. Every pack has twice the shine, with two foils in each booster.
- TWO FIRST PICKS. Every pack of Double Masters has two rares—and when you booster draft, you can pick them both..TOO POWERFUL. Full of high-powered reprints and fan favourites, Double Masters contains the some of the most beloved – and feared – Magic: The Gathering cards ever created.
However, there is a rare discount on Amazon if you buy three packs instead of one:
And if your budget is somewhere in between, you can snag a VIP edition collector pack:
- Double Masters VIP Edition contains a combination of 4 rare or mythic rare foils (see below for contents) —2 featuring beautiful borderless art, printed here for the first time.
- Play with some of the most dominating Magic cards ever, whether you’re into Commander, Pioneer, Legacy, or all of the above.
- As beautiful as they are powerful, most of the cards in Double Masters VIP Edition are foil— 23 foils in all.
- Take in the scenery with 12 basic lands with special full art—2 in foil and 10 non-foil.
- Contents: 33 Magic cards plus 2 double-sided tokens. 2 foil borderless cards (either 2 rare foil borderless cards or 1 rare and 1 mythic rare foil borderless card), 2 foil rares or mythics (2 rare foil regular frame cards or 1 rare and 1 mythic rare foil regular frame card), 8 foil uncommons, 9 foil commons, and 12 full-art basic lands (2 foil and 10 non-foil).
You can also get the VIP Edition or draft booster boxes from eBay.
Tha regular (draft booster box):
Prices seem to be a little lower than others for now, so you can check TCGPlayer to preorder Double Masters:
Kaalia of the Vast | Illustration by Michael Komarck
Since packs will have more value, almost every player will want to get their hands on a Double Masters pack and this might even lead to more players taking part in tournaments. It will also be released on Magic Online, so digital-only players will be able to enjoy it as well.
So, what do you think about Double Masters? What themes and mechanics are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments below!
Doubling Season showcase frame | Illustration by Ron Spencer
Note: this post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, you’ll help Draftsim continue to provide awesome free articles and apps.