Turn the Tables | Illustration by Christopher Moeller
Tables are a necessity to play Magic regularly. You don’t want to spread your playmat and cards on the floor, so you want to put them somewhere. But where do you begin? You can find endless table options, but which ones are the best for that iconic kitchen table Magic feel?
Today I’m looking at several tables perfect for playing Magic that fit various budgets and preferences. We’ll highlight several key features to look out for when picking a table and figure out the best one you can buy.
Let’s get to it!
My top recommendation is this simple table from SOSPIRO. It hits everything you want from a table for Magic. There’s an abundance of space for a Commander pod and plenty of room to fit eight players for a Cube night.
At a few hundred dollars, it’s not breaking the bank, and it comes with benches that fit beneath the table if you’re not using it. The design is simple enough to fit any design scheme you’re looking for but has more personality than your average table with four legs. It’s easy to assemble, and the table and benches are stable.
It’s also just a table in the best way possible. Not everybody has a spare room to convert into a gaming den, and this is a great option if you’re looking for a dining room table with enough space to host a few game nights.
- 【Good Shopping Experience】If you receive a damaged desktop, please contact us and we will provide you with a free replacement service.
- 【Cosy Dining Table】The distance between the legs of the dining table is 49”, allowing you to stretch your feet easily while eating without feeling cramped. It's a decent size for 6 to 8 persons. You can also place the Bench in a table when you are not using it.
- 【Spacious Table Top】72" x 36" desktop size, height: 30”. This modern rectangular table can fit 6 placemats nicely with no overlap, allowing your family and friends to enjoy a happy meal together.
- 【Useful Function】This counter height dining table adopts natural grains and simple lines, adding glamour to the kitchen, dining room and living room. It can also be used as writing desk, computer desk, workstation, conference table, even for homework’s nights, having lots of guests and games!
- 【Easy Assembly & Customer Service】The modern industrial dining table and chairs comes with marked parts and clear assembly instruction. 2 people can assemble in 30 minutes. We provide 24-hour customer service, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
There are a few things you want to look for when purchasing a table for Magic. First and foremost is stability. It doesn’t matter how ugly or small the table is if it’s unstable. A wobbly table is a Magic player’s worst enemy. You don’t want to bump an unstable table and shake somebody’s deck across the battlefield. Or worse, spill a drink across someone’s cards.
Once stability’s out of the way, you can consider things like size. You need a table that’s appropriate for your needs. If you’re only inviting a buddy or two over for some Pioneer or other 1v1 formats, you likely won’t need much table space. But if you’re regularly hosting a Commander night or Draft at your place, you need something more substantial.
You also need to consider what else you need to use the table for. Part of what I like about the SOSPIRO above is that it’s just a table. You can use it for plenty. But you can also get felt-coated poker tables with lots of slots and a top that’s not ideal for much more than playing cards. You should determine what best suits your needs. If you’re stocking a game room, something more specialized may be appropriate, while multifunctionality is crucial if you’re suiting up your dining room.
Price is always something to keep an eye on. You really want to get what you pay for, after all. A cheaper table has more issues than pricier ones, while your ideal table might be a custom order that costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars. This is another point where function comes in; if you’re only looking to play Magic on the table, you might not want to invest as much money as though you were getting a general-use table with enough space for Magic.
The “Cadillac” of MTG Tables
For the most bang for your buck investment on the list, this poker table from Fairview Game Rooms comes with four swiveling chairs that are perfect for spinning and are comfortable to game in.
The table also has a 3-in-1 potential. It has a plain wooden top for a basic dining table that flips over for a top perfect for playing card games like Magic and poker. It’s even got grooves to hold drinks and cards. You can also remove the top entirely to unveil a hidden bumper pool table, and the set comes with the equipment you need for that.
This is a super nice, solid table. It’s quite stylish and fits with a lot of designs, and it comes in mahogany or chestnut colors. The manufacturer mentions that the bumper pool surface might not be perfectly level because it’s not made of slate, but that won’t affect anyone playing Magic with it. You could even use the pool surface as storage beneath the tabletop for small items like playmats or die chests.
The primary drawback to this table for playing Magic is the size. Honestly, it’s not a small table. It easily sits four, which is the perfect number if you want to play some Commander. If you’re looking to host Draft or Cube nights regularly, you’ll have trouble squeezing eight players around this, and the circular shape could make gameplay awkward. This drawback really depends on how you want to use the table.
The Most Compact MTG Table
This folding table from STAKMORE is an excellent choice for players looking for a small table that takes up minimal space. It folds up for easy storage to keep it out of sight when you’re not playing, and the dimensions are fairly tight at 32”x32”. Costing just north of $100 keeps the price point very reasonable.
This table is solid and simple enough to go with most decors. This table’s biggest pro is also kind of its biggest con. This isn’t a very big table. You can definitely fit a Commander pod with standard playmats, though you’ll be right on top of each other. This is an ideal table for playtesting, where you want to play one on one in formats like Modern or Standard.
- Premium solid wood construction.No assembly required.Material:Wood.Item Dimensions:32" L x 32" W x 29.5" H
- No assembly required
- Folds to 3.375“ deep for storage
- This Solid Wood Folding Card Table comes with a scalloped edge
- It is the perfect table for games and extra seating for the holidays
The Best Budget MTG Table
The best budget table to play Magic on is this simple one from FDW. It’s a standard folding table you might be familiar with if you regularly go camping or take to small events set up in parking lots.
You’re not getting anything flashy with this table, but you’re getting a nice level of quality for the small amount of money you’re putting into this. It’s plenty sturdy and has more than enough space to host whatever Magic game night suits your fancy.
It’s also light and easy to store. It folds up and fits easily beneath a bed or couch, so you don’t need it out if you’re not playing. It’s also super light and easy to transport if you want to take a game night out to a patio or set up away from home.
The biggest drawback to this table is that the plastic top can dent and hold damage, but it won’t often affect the stability of the product itself, just look a little weathered.
- 🌟【Sturdy Support】 The folding table with Powder-coated steel legs, the camping table frame joint locks, and non-slip rubber feet help to keep the plastic table in place during every event.
- 🌟【Portable】 Foldable design of the folding table includes a side lock and handle, making the the camping table easy to take on the go or store away in a compact space when not in use the plastic table.
- 🌟【Take The folding table to Anywhere】camping table comes with a handle, great for commercial use, parties, backyard events, traveling, family exercises, etc. You can take the plastic table to everywhere you want.
- 🌟【No assemble needed】The folding table come fully assembled and folded of the camping table.You only need open the box,take out of the plastic table.Then you can use it.
- 🌟【Easy to fold up and be stored away】You can fold the folding table up and easily store behind your dresser, Then the camping table are outta sight, and easy to grab the plastic table when needed.
Custom MTG Tables
The above options are some great standard tables you can order from Amazon without much trouble. But if you really want to trick out your gaming room, you might want to order a custom table to play Magic on that’s built to your exact desires.
My top pick for a custom shop is Hammered Game Tables. They don’t come cheap, starting at about four grand, but you have incredible control over the kind of table you order, down to how marked you want to finish to be.
These are modular tables designed with DND in mind to set up plenty of miniatures and terrain. If your Magic exploits don’t extend to RPGs, this means an abundance of storage for whatever you like! The site also welcomes you to make all kinds of personalized flairs for the tables with custom engraving and such.
This is the best spot for a custom table if you’re willing to pay a handsome sum to trick out your gaming room with something wholly unique to your setup and what you want out of your MTG gaming table.
Sylvok Battle-Chair | Illustration by Alexander Mokhov
A great table is one of the most important things you need if you’re building a gaming room or wish to host game nights at your place. Your highest priorities should always be stability and functionality to keep your cards safe and have the tools you need for the best game night possible.
That’s why my top choice is the table from SOSPIRO. It’s plenty solid and stylish and sits at a reasonable price for a high-quality table. It’s also plenty versatile to fit anywhere in your home and has enough space to play whatever games you like.
What table did you like on the list? What do you look for in a gaming table? Let me know in the comments below, or over in the official Draftsim Discord.
Stay safe, and happy gaming!
Note: this post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, you’ll help Draftsim continue to provide awesome free articles and apps.Follow Draftsim for awesome articles and set updates: